Gabriel Agreste is a famous fashion designer who created and owns the brand Gabriel. He is also the husband of Emilie Agreste and the father of Adrien Agreste. Her supervillain name is Hawk Moth who are the main antagonist of Miraculous the Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Gabriel comes off as a cold, harsh, and very strict man. He is very protective of his son Adrien, having kept him home for most of his life, although having a possessive and distant relationship with him. He makes executive decisions about how to keep his son safe without considering how he may feel, such as when he unjustly deems Nino Lahiffe a bad influence for Adrien and forbids him from coming to his home ever again. Gabriel misses his wife greatly and sometimes has to be reminded not to forget that his son is also grieving. According to Adrien in "Adrien's Double Life", ever since the disappearance of his wife, he is a changed man. He also strongly dislikes taking orders from anyone, even if they are from people who are trying to help and protect him, such as Ladybug and Cat Noir. Despite this, Gabriel can be respectful and kind at times, especially when needing to act professionally.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gabriel is named after Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, who created the French designer brand, Chanel.
- Hawk Moth's appearance is very different from his appearance in the Ladybug PV. In the PV, he doesn't wear a mask, has white hair and silver eyes, and wears a white dress suit with a pale tan vest and bow.
- The design of Hawk Moth's mask is a reference to the supervillain Fantômas from the 1964 French film with the same name.
- After sending an akuma, he rotates his staff with his left hand, which possibly indicates Gabriel is left-handed.
- Gabriel is one of the tallest characters in the series.
- Strangely, Hawk Moth is depicted taller than Gabriel, while in reality they are the same height.
- Gabriel's phone number as listed in Adrien's phone contacts is +33678424.
- Gabriel's car can show holograms of himself, which he uses to being seen outside his mansion when he is actually inside.
- Gabriel has a secret safe behind the painting of Emilie Agreste in his atelier. It contains the Peacock Miraculous, a picture of Emilie Agreste, tickets for Tibet, and a book about the Miraculouses.
- In "Volpina", Adrien takes the Miraculous book, unbeknownst to Gabriel, and the book eventually ends up in Marinette's hands. Once he discovers that it is missing in "The Collector", he, despite having the book's pages saved digitally, becomes very angry and punishes Adrien, most likely due to the book making him the primary suspect for being Hawk Moth.
- The painting of Emilie Agreste also conceals another secret — access to the entrance to Hawk Moth's lair. The passage opens when certain spots of the painting are pressed.
- Hawk Moth is called "Butterfly" in other early sources.
- In the Castilian Spanish version, Hawk Moth's name is Lepidóptero, which comes from the scientific order called Lepidoptera, which contains all butterflies and moths.
- During Season 1 when his secret identity was unknown, there were clues suggesting that Gabriel was Hawk Moth are:
- Gabriel and Hawk Moth have the same voice actors in many dubs, including English, French, Castilian Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Italian, and Korean dubs.
- In "The Bubbler", it was not actually confirmed that Gabriel had been kidnapped by the bubbles of the titular villain.
- In "Mr. Pigeon", Gabriel was imaginated in Marinette's mind with a purple brooch resembling the Butterfly Miraculous.
- In "Ladybug & Cat Noir", the silhouette of the civilian form of Hawk Moth is very similar to that of Gabriel, and they seem to have the same clothes, in addition to having a picture of Emilie.
- In "Simon Says", Hawk Moth states that "it's risky" when he hears Simon Says say he will take Gabriel Agreste.
- As revealed in "The Dark Owl", Hawk Moth's intentions for getting Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses is to change a past event.
- In "Zombizou" he mentions that his cherished wish is linked to love.
- In "Queen Wasp" and "Catalyst", it is hinted that Gabriel's intentions for getting the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses are linked to a promise with Emilie.
- In "Party Crasher", Gabriel mentions that the past event seems to be a mistake he and Emilie made.
- Hawk Moth usually reveals his name to his victims when he corrupts them. However, he never gave out his name to the Evillustrator or Darkblade.
- As seen in episodes like "Darkblade", "Antibug", and "Princess Fragrance", Hawk Moth has the time to akumatize more than one person a day, even though it is not more than one person each time.
- In "Timebreaker", however, he is able to twice akumatize Alix for the two of them to operate concurrently, by virtue of the timeline of events being altered by her time-traveling ability.
- In "Sapotis", he was able to akumatize both of Alya's sisters because they were both holding onto the same object.
- Despite being busy with job in his atelier, Gabriel is constantly seen in his lair. This is likely because he is rarely seen out of his mansion, as mentioned by Marinette as Ladybug and reporter Nadja Chamack. He is always seen in his home or through Nathalie's tablet, except for "Queens' Battle", "Backwarder", and in "Party Crasher".
- In "Volpina", Adrien confuses a previous owner of the Butterfly Miraculous for Hawk Moth upon seeing his picture in the Miraculous Spellbook.
- Wilfried Pain has confirmed that Hawk Moth also has an origin story.
- Thomas Astruc additionally claimed that Season 2 would explain how Hawk Moth found the Butterfly Miraculous (although this information was ultimately not revealed in Season 2).
- Astruc also intends for Season 3 to reveal why Hawk Moth needs the Miraculouses.
- In some dubs, Gabriel and Hawk Moth have different voice actors. Examples are the Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, Hungarian (only Season 1), and Dutch dubs.